Friday, March 4, 2016

Famous First/Last Lines New Writing

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since. "There will always be people who take advantage of something, you may even be guilty of such an accusation. When you do find yourself guilty, never let it go unforgiven- apologize and hope for forgiveness. If you are the victim, always forgive."

I'm standing in front of him now, his advice a stone in my stomach. For a decade I have seen the power of forgiveness he speaks so highly of. I have forgiven my father once before and a thousand times over but it was a lot easier to forgive when there was a disability to point fingers at. Now, no longer in his wheel chair, he sits at his desk with thin glasses at the bridge of his nose and a graying beard resting against his navy shirt. I stand in the doorway of his office, holding the box that is damned with the weight of piling evidence against my father's word.

I struggle to keep my deserves under control and explain, "When you missed my graduation I was able to understand why. You had just gotten out of the hospital after the crash and told you would never be able to walk again. I didn't blame you for not showing up. When you weren't at Mom's memorial I forgave you because I knew it was extra hard on you- losing your wife and your independence. I even forgave you five years after the incident when you weren't at the hospital when I had your first grand child. I didn't blame you- I blamed your disability, I blamed the truck driver, I even blamed myself. You didn't come to Janson's wedding last week. I wasn't angry, though- I was worried. Then I found this box in your attic yesterday."

"Kate," my father sighs sadly and gets out of his chair.

"Do not stand," I snap. "How long have you been able to walk again? Were you ever even unable to?" I accuse.

"Honey, let me explain," he begs.

"Yes, an explanation would be very nice!" I demand as I slam the box onto his desk before him. Inside are piles of pictures and post cards, and in each of them my father is standing next to people I have never seen before. "How is that during the years 1995-2015 you were damned to sit in a chair on wheels presumably forever and yet there are post cards of you standing on a street in Tokyo? There's a photo of you skiing in the Alps- something a cripple could never do. What have you been doing all these years?!"

He tries to explain, "Listen to me, Kate. It's not what you think it is- yes I lied. The doctors never told me that I wouldn't be able to walk again. Please try to understand- after your mother died I was devastated and broken."

"Don't put the blame on Mom," I tell him. "This was you, this was your doing. You are the one who abandoned Janson and me. For what reason, I have no idea."

"Kate, I have something wrong with me- that part is true. I don't think the same way you and your brother do, I don't experience or feel things the same way that you do."

I can't believe what he is trying to tell me. I exasperate, "What next, you're going to make up a mental disability for yourself? Is that it? No father, there is no explanation for what you have done. You're a liar." He stands again and starts to walk around his desk but I stop him, scolding, "Sit back down! I hope you're never able to get back up again."

"You won't forgive me this time?" He asks.

"No, not this time. I hope you experience the same loneliness you gave your children when you disappeared on secret vacations. In your rocking-chair, by your window dreaming, shall you long, alone. In your rocking-chair, by your window, shall you dream such happiness as you may never feel."

Author's note:
I'm not sure if this little excerpt of a story makes any sense but I was at a loss when it came to connecting these two quotes. It sounds very sad, the disownment of one's own father and I wished I could have found a different direction but the ending quote kind of restricts it to a melancholy tale. I hope you are able to piece information together and make sense of this :)

No comments:

Post a Comment