Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Culture Swap Email to China

Hello friends!

As I have learned, you have been watching What Would You Do? and Wife Swap. My class watched the same clips you watched.

What Would You Do is one of my favorite shows. As you might have guessed from one of the episodes, there are some people in the US that discriminate or judge other based on race or religion, especially Muslims as of late. After the 9/11 terrorist attack in 2001, discrimination and unfair treatment escalated against Muslims, and because Muslim women wear a hijab, they stick out of a crowd. I am very against discrimination of any kind. Our country prides it's self in the fact that we believe that all men and women are created equal and everyone has the right and freedom to follow their own religion. However, there are still people who treat others unfairly.

If I was in a situation like that of the What Would You Do episode when there is a Muslim woman changing a tire, I would hope that I wouldn't even notice her hijab. I've never changed a tire before but I have been taught and seen it done so I would hope that I would help her.

Another episode of What Would You Do that we watched was a young pregnant girl talking to two gay men interested in adopting her baby. A woman spoke out rudely against the idea and against homosexuals. This situation is similar to the other episode in that it has to do with discrimination and unfair treatment. LGBTQ rights have been a big topic of debate in our country lately. I believe that the woman who spoke out against the two men was very rude and small minded. It wasn't her business to get involved and tell someone that what they are doing is wrong. It is quite ironic though, for once the rude woman gets involved it is suddenly everyone's business to step in and insure equal treatment. That is one of the great things about our country- we want everyone to be treated fairly. We may not agree on many things, but most of us have everyone's best interest in mind and many will stand up for minorities.

The third What Would You Do episode that we watched had to do with "cat fishing", which is the term for when someone acts like someone else on the internet, luring someone to meet them. In this episode, an older man pretended to be a young boy who had a romantic interest in a teenage girl. Situations like these happen in America much more often than I'd like to or even admit. It is a very dangerous situation, especially for a teenage girl, because these situation often lead to rape, abuse, and even murder. Thankfully, most all Americans will do anything they can for something like that from happening if they can.

I hope that our country can not only "talk the talk" but that they can "walk the walk." By this I mean we not only proclaim that everyone is equal but we treat others as such. It is very embarrassing and shameful when people in our country with a lot of power and a loud voice say horribly things against other groups of people (i.e. Donald Trump, a rich business owner currently running for president).

The tv show Wife Swap has never been my favorite. The families that they show are always insane and blown way out of proportion. The episode we watched featured a family who described themselves as "modern day red necks" and another who was obsessed with pageants. There may be families like this in the U.S., but rarely to that extreme and insanity. I also feel like the show stretches reality.

Living in the Midwest of the United States, I have encountered many "modern day rednecks" and can say that there are definitely many near where I live and further south. Typically these people are loud, annoying, and not very pleasant to be around. From my experience, they can be close minded and uneducated.

I haven't met a family quite like the pageant family but beauty is a high priority for a lot of people that I know. Some women love entering their children into pageants but, unlike the mother in Wife Swap, children aren't typically entered into pageants unless they want to. As a whole, beauty is very important in our culture. Television shows, movies, magazines, and adds always portray what most people believe is a beautiful person. People photo shop models, especially women, just so that they look even more beautiful. Most of the women we see for adds don't even exist.

Personally, I don't see the harm in looking the best that you can. However, I believe that physical beauty is subjective and it doesn't last. What's more important is who you are- that's what I believe makes a person beautiful. Someone can be very pretty in physical appearance but mean and self centered and to me that is not beautiful.

I hope that these shows help you to understand our culture more and I also hope that they don't give you a false idea of how people in America act. I have a couple questions about how your culture compares to mine. Do you have any problems in your country when it comes to discrimination and mistreatment against religion or race? Where does our country stand as far as LGBTQ rights? What about you personally? Have you heard of people getting "cat fished" before? Where does beauty land priorities wise in your lives and within your culture? If you have any questions, please ask them!

Your friend from the U.S.,
Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment