Thursday, February 25, 2016

Famous First and Last Words


"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since."

These famous first words came from F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel The Great Gatsby. Fitzgerald was born on September 24, 1896 and died December 21, 1940. The Great Gatsby was published in 1925 and the book takes place in the roaring twenties, arguably the height of the American Dream. The novel is narrated by the character Jim Caraway who recalls the events that centered around his rich neighbor and good friend Jay Gatsby. Gatsby was from a poor family that lived on a farm but was able to gain his own wealth and by the time he returned to Long Island from the war he was filthy rich. He claims that he gained everything all for a girl named Daisy, who he met when he was young. Gatsby is tragically in love with the married Daisy and does everything he can to get her back.

The Great Gatsby is my favorite book. There is so much imagery, symbolism, and meaning to everything Fitzgerald writes in the novel. It was the first piece of true American literature that I've read and I fell in love with Fitzgerald's voice. Each of his characters are well defined and it is easy to grow very attached to them and feel very strong feelings towards them. The Great Gatsby inspires me to write.
"In your rocking-chair, by your window dreaming, shall you long, alone. In your rocking-chair, by your window, shall you dream such happiness as you may never feel."

These famous last words were written by Theodore Dreiser in his novel Sister Claire published in 1900. Dreiser was born on August 27, 1871, and died on December 28, 1945. Sister Carrie, like The Great Gatsby, is centered around the American Dream. Taking place in the 1890s, it follows a young girl who finds her own American dream. At first she is a mistress but ends up becoming an actress.

I would read this book mainly because it relates to The Great Gatsby. It is sounds like Dreiser was a feminist which also makes me want to read his book. I'd love to find Sister Carrie and read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment