Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Dream Threads

I close my eyes and he is there, standing on my front sidewalk, reaching out to me with a sheet of paper in his left hand. How lucky I am to continue seeing his face. I may have seen him for the last time during the day, but he is still alive in my dreams, as he always has been. I take the paper from his hand, which is sealed with a crimson emblem. I do not open it and instead wrap my arms over his shoulders. The hug is returned, but only briefly. I wish to hug him forever, but he steps back. "I have to go," he tells me. I protest as he turns away. He can not leave, not again. His back is towards me and he walks back down the street. I open the letter in my hand, hand written ink splattered over it. As I read I can feel the distance that grows between him and me. The letter simply tells me that I am loved and to avoid loneliness. When I finish it, I see that he is at the far end of the street, still walking away. I sprint forward but my legs take me nowhere. As I try to walk out towards him, the further I;d walk, the further he'd get away from me.

1 comment:

  1. I like the line about feeling the distance between you two grow as you read the letter...

    ReplyDelete