Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Inhale


All I remember is darkness.
Darkness and dust
that can only leave one feeling hopeless
like I would never again see light.

When they finally came,
when a voice was heard
I thought it was a dream
or that I had finally met my grave.

I was convinced
that surely my time had finally come.
After months beneath the earth
my tomb finally became my grave.

When the ground above broke
sunlight streamed into my pocket of oxygen.
Even then I remained unconvinced
that it was really a rescue.

Not until I was carried out,
out into the clean air
free of dust and full of light.
Finally, I took a deep breath.

2 comments:

  1. What a cool connection to the story of the Chilean miners you made here! I can't imagine that trapped feeling, what a total mind game with yourself it would be to survive the claustrophobia and remain hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool connection to the story of the Chilean miners you made here! I can't imagine that trapped feeling, what a total mind game with yourself it would be to survive the claustrophobia and remain hopeful.

    ReplyDelete