Tuesday, January 12, 2016

I am



I am a child
of a city full of creativity
of a family learning what it means to be together
with far-fetched dreams
with more than one story
learning what it means to love
learning what walls need to be built or torn down


I am an artist
a drawer, singer, actress
a writer
spending my nights that drift into morning throwing words onto a screen, splattering ink onto paper, or sounding notes from instruments


I am countless
unfinished stories
letters without intention to be sent
characters begging for their story to be told
papers, notes, cards, and journals


I am a moment
now
here
present
I am but a breath
I am change
confidence
flight


I am the nights spent with friends, food, and laughter
I am a memory
a future
I am, most importantly, now


I am a gallivanter
I am
sitting on top of a parking garage in Springvegas on a Sunday night
a car full of friends, music, and suitcases on the highway
late night excursions, star gazes, and dancing
embracing spontaneity

I am the line dividing the introverts and the extroverts
the silence separating conversations
a reason to make conversation


I am mute
I am loud
I am true
I am nothing
I am everything
I am all that I can be


1 comment:

  1. Hi Haley! Thanks for sharing this. I like the way you acknowledged all the little contradictions that make you who you are at the end. I often think of myself similarly: I'm this but also that. I love the lines about "embracing spontaneity" and all the impromptu adventures you and your friends (and family) share. Also what a great word: gallivanter. I love that you identify yourself throughout as a writer. You most certainly are one!

    ReplyDelete