Monday, April 11, 2016

MSU reflection

I met a girl named Wendy. She taught me a few words in Chinese including theatre, rehearsal, and seniors. She said that American high schools "teach you how to live a life" whereas Chinese high schools "teach you how to pass an exam." I told her that I was involved in a lot of theatre and am currently rehearsing for my 8th show. I also told her that I love cats and going on road trips. She was surprised by the size of my family (6) and said that it was very big. I showed her all around our school. I took her backstage to watch a class rehearsing for "The Curious Savage" and she thought it was really cool that we have a class devoted to the Spring play. I showed her the student center, the library, the gym, and the science wing. When we walked by the culinary room she was really surprised that students get to cook for a class. She commented on our style saying it was "free" and "relaxed" and that she liked it a lot better than Chinese style. I loved getting to know Wendy and learn a little bit about her culture. I'm glad we were able to share our school so that they could experience an American high school. If we had more time, I think it would have been fun to play on the computers in the commons, walk into the culinary classroom to watch/help cook, and walk into the journalism room and explain what our school does there.

No comments:

Post a Comment